Prevent mold from spreading and aggravating respiratory problems after water damage. When you and your family know what to do in the aftermath of water damage, you can avoid serious health problems.
Here you can see what it takes to get rid of mold and why you need Medford Water Damage Cleanup to help.
Mold Prevention Steps
There are times when water damage and flooding cannot be avoided. However, the actions taken after the fact will significantly impact whether or not mold issues arise in your home. If you’ve experienced water damage, take the following precautions to avoid mold.
Gather Materials and Equipment
To effectively eradicate mold, you’ll need the following supplies and tools:
- Protective Eyewear
- Gloves (waterproof – rubber or latex)
- Trash Bags
- Sponges and rags
- Detergent, Soap, or Cleaner
- Phenolic or pine-oil cleaner
- Chlorine Bleach Solution
- Wet-Dry Vacuum (Shop-vac)
Mold growth in an area no larger than 3 feet by 3 feet is probably manageable by a single person. However, in cases where the affected area is more significant than this, it is advised to seek the services of Swept Away Restoration, a professional flooded house cleanup service.
When you need a 5-star service? Then, you’ve come to the right place. We offer water damage restoration & carpet cleaning in Ashland, Jacksonville, Jackson County, and Medford.
Stop the Wetness and Dry Out the Area
If you act quickly to dry out your home after a flood or other water damage, you can reduce the likelihood of mold infestation.
Follow these recommendations:
- Rugs, bedding, and furniture should be removed, cleaned, and disinfected after being soaked.
- Carpeting that has become matted or moldy due to water damage needs the experts from Swept Away Restoration to fix the issues.
- If the relative humidity outside is lower than inside, you should let in some fresh air.
- Use fans and dehumidifiers to get rid of the accumulated dampness. However, fans can spread mold spores, so if the growth has already begun, turn them off.
- Throw away any food that will spoil.
- Water damage to drywall or wallboard necessitates its removal and careful disposal, along with any wet insulation found up to a foot above the water line.
- Remove the baseboard and drill holes in the wall near the floor to facilitate drainage.
- Please get rid of the old stuff and replace it with waterproof stuff.
Only use central air conditioning after your local water damage professionals give you the all-clear; if you DIY clean, you could spread spores around your home.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
It’s important to remember a few things before you start cleaning and disinfecting:
- Wear appropriate safety gear and ensure adequate ventilation in your workspace.
- To disinfect, first clean the area.
- If mold is present, it is recommended to hire a water damage and mold removal contractor.
- It’s important to remember that disinfectants work best when applied to previously cleaned surfaces.
Mold Prevention With Medford Flooded Home Cleanup Experts
You can keep your family safe from mold and further water damage after a flood if you act quickly after the event.
Permitting moisture to linger after water damage encourages mold growth, promoting costly structural damages and, in some cases, dangerous respiratory illnesses.
If you need emergency help or need your home back to a livable condition, you can contact Swept Away for a free estimate.
Alternatively, you can fill in the compact form below for a staff member to be in touch.
In addition, you can check our customer reviews on Google.