You're not alone if you're dealing with a musty smell in your home. Musty odors are not only unpleasant but can also indicate an underlying problem. Swept Away Restoration will explain what causes musty smells and how to eliminate them.
Understanding the Causes of Musty Smells
Musty smells are often caused by excess moisture, which can lead to the growth of mold and mildew.
Leaks, high humidity, and poor ventilation can all contribute to musty odors. It's essential to identify the source of the moisture and use water damage repair to prevent further damage and ensure the musty smell doesn't return.
Swept Away Restoration Step-by-Step Guide to Removing Musty Smells
To remove musty smells, follow these steps:
- Identify and repair the source of moisture.
- Remove any visible mold and mildew using a solution of bleach and water.
- Clean and deodorize any affected surfaces.
- Use a dehumidifier or air purifier to remove excess moisture from the air.
- Open windows and doors to improve ventilation.
DIY Solutions for Removing Musty Smells
There are several DIY solutions you can try to remove musty smells from your home, including:
- Baking soda: Sprinkle baking soda on carpets, upholstery, and other surfaces, let it sit for a few hours, then vacuum it up.
- Vinegar: Spray a solution of equal parts water and vinegar on affected surfaces, let it sit for an hour, then wipe it away with a cloth.
- Charcoal: Place a bowl of charcoal in the affected room to absorb odors.
- Essential oils: Add a few drops of essential oils, such as lavender or tea tree, to a diffuser to freshen the air.
Professional Help: When to Call a Water Damage Repair Company
If the musty smell persists after trying these DIY solutions, or if you suspect the problem is more serious, it's time to call the professionals.
A restoration company can assess the extent of the damage and provide a complete solution.
Signs you should call a restoration company include:
- The musty smell is coming from multiple rooms.
- There is visible mold or mildew.
- The problem is recurring despite your efforts to fix it.
Water damage repair is often needed if you have had a flood. Mold can grow inside walls and under floors.
Stop Musty Smells With Medford Water Damage Repair
Musty smells in your home can be unpleasant and show an underlying problem. To get rid of musty odors, start by identifying and repairing the source of moisture. Try DIY solutions, but call Swept Away Restoration if the problem persists.
Don't let musty smells take over your home. Contact Swept Away Restoration today for professional, thorough restoration services.
Alternatively, you can fill in the compact form below for a staff member to be in touch. In addition, you can check our customer reviews on Google.